I probably have at least a dozen recipe books in one of my kitchen cupboards. Each book filled with sticky notes on the pages of recipes that seem like they might be a tasty eat. One such recipe I found was for Octopus rice. Unfortunately here in Tom Price you can’t buy octopus so I made it with squid instead.
This is yet another Thermomix recipe.
Should you decide to try this at home you will need:
1000-1200g squid tubes, frozen
100g white wine or red wine or water
2 garlic cloves
70g olive oil
300g canned tomatoes
300g long grain rice
Salt & pepper to taste
4 sprigs of coriander, fresh leaves only chopped.
Now what you have to do is:
- Cut frozen squid tubes into bite size pieces and place them with the wine and one whole onion into the mixing bowl and cook 40 mins Varoma temp speed 1. Drain the octopus in simmering basket and keep cooking liquid. Set aside.
- Place second onion and garlic cloves into mixing bowl, chop 6 sec speed 5.
- Add olive oil and canned tomatoes, cook 7 mins 100 degrees speed 1.
- Add drained octopus with onion, season with salt & pepper to taste and cook 7 mins 100 degrees reverse slow speed.
- Add long grain rice and cook 3 mins 100 degrees reverse slow speed.
- Weigh cooking liquid into mixing bowl, fill with water to 900g and cook 15 mins 100 degrees reverse slow speed.
- Serve in casserole dish and sprinkle coriander on top.
I left out the coriander. I can’t stand the taste or smell of it.
What I learnt…
- It needed more of a tomato flavour to it. So perhaps a spoon or two of tomato paste as well as the canned tomatoes.
- Maybe some peas thrown into the mix to give it a bit of colour. To quote my mother. “You should always have some greens on your plate”.
- It really needed the salt and pepper to give it some taste.
- I’ll be removing the sticky note from this recipe as it wasn’t that great a meal.
Until next time…